Principal Duties and Responsibilities
60% Development and Implementation of Media and Communications Strategy
- Develop targeted communications and branding strategies tailored to specific groups including policymakers, the media, foundations, universities, and think tanks; identify opportunities to increase the program’s impact and visibility through identifying target audiences, working with relevant scholars and staff, and adapting materials and publications to formats readily usable by each target audience.
- Liaise with editors and correspondents and maintain strong relationships with the Chinese media and China-based foreign policy reporters; seek opportunities to engage them in events and to interest them in work done by BTC scholars; organize press conferences as needed; arrange media interviews and appearances; distribute research and commentary by Brookings scholars to various media outlets.
- Coordinate media relations efforts with Brookings and Tsinghua University.
- Seek and develop opportunities to partner with media on events and publications.
- Assist with or manage organization of major public forums or video conferencing events including: identifying speakers and topics; coordinating panels and participants; drafting correspondence and press releases; and engaging media interest.
- Comprehensively monitor press coverage of BTC and its scholars to maintain a full press file.
- Keep abreast of current events and help to identify opportunities for scholars to develop op-eds, policy briefs, letters to the editor, etc.
- Coordinate overall digital media strategy and expand web presence; manage BTC website presence to ensure website is updated accurately and includes upcoming events, testimony, op-eds, monographs, analysis papers, and other related materials; contribute to and develop strategies to promote policy-driven products on the site, suitable for media reporting and editorial placement.
- Proofread materials in Chinese and English and review translations to ensure quality and appropriateness.
- Draft and compile web materials related to timely issues for online publication on the website and/or dissemination through social media.
- Edit high quality academic papers authored by Brookings fellows in both English and Chinese; supervise production (layout, proofreading, editing, design, translation) for publications such as reports, analysis papers, and policy briefs.
- Supervise reprinting and translation of publications into Chinese or English.
- Develop strategies to promote and track production of BTC publications with scholars and relevant Brookings staff; track production schedules.
40% Targeted Communications and Outreach
- Develop marketing materials, event announcements, media memos and press releases, fact sheets, and other press materials; adapt materials and publications to formats that can be readily used by various target audiences; manage the design, production, and distribution of all branded items and marketing materials.
- Manage all BTC official correspondence, including drafting, editing, or translating as needed.
- Develop targeted communications strategy for potential donors and assist with the cultivation and stewardship of existing and prospective donors; assist with writing of solicitation letters or proposals; edit and polish concept papers and proposals drafted by scholars to ensure quality, readability, and adherence to funder guidelines, interests, and programs.
- Manage outreach databases; oversee a master calendar of events.
Attn: Center Manager
Apr 30, 2012