South Asia Program Intern
About the Program:The South Asia Program at the Stimson Center offers fall, summer, and spring internships to highly motivated and talented undergraduate and graduate students. The vast majority of the intern's time would be spent working on issues related to security in India and Pakistan, including strategic stability, deterrence challenges, crisis management, and confidence-building and nuclear risk reduction measures, as well as on projects related to the global nonproliferation regime. Interns will assist with editing pieces for the program's online policy platform, South Asian Voices, featuring contributors from the subcontinent. Interns will also be responsible for attending and reporting on events in Washington related to program interest areas.
Internships are volunteer experience only. All internships are unpaid.
- Reading and analyzing research documents
- Assisting the Director, Deputy Director, and Associates with substantive research and writing projects
- Editing analytical pieces related to security, politics, and economics of South Asia
- Conducting original qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Providing social media support
- Drafting an op-ed for an external publication
- Organizing and taking notes in meetings
- Tracking and reporting on developments in the field
- Representing project staff at meetings and events at think tanks, NGOs, and on Capitol Hill
- Minimal administrative support
- Strong interest in South Asia or nuclear issues
- Excellent analytical, research, and writing skills
- Experience with design (Adobe Photoshop, MS PowerPoint, Piktochart or related), audio/video editing (Audacity, Garage Band, Adobe, or related), and geographic information systems (ArcGIS or related)
- Familiarity with statistical programs (e.g. Stata, R, and Python), web scraping/web data extraction tools, and programming languages desired.
- A record of academic excellence
- Precise editing skills - attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and show initiative
- Full-time interns are preferred
- South Asian language skills, especially Urdu and Hindi
Applicants must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week. Preference may be given to those available 30+ hours per week. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample as a PDF by 5 pm EST on Friday, October 14. To apply, please visit: https://stimson.applicantpro.com/jobs/328813.html