This blog features information related to Asian Studies at GW. If you’re a student who’s gotten a job or internship, won an award, published a paper, won a fellowship or traveled someplace interesting, we want to know! We will also feature information about grants and fellowships you can apply for, jobs, internships, and relevant events in town, as well as information about courses, the Asian Studies program, and our faculty.
Friday, October 7, 2016
The George Washington University Confucius Institute
The George Washington University Confucius Institute (GWU C.I.) promotes the study of Chinese language and culture, supports Chinese teaching through instructional training and certification, and encourages increased research in the area of China studies. Named for the famed Chinese philosopher (551-479 B.C.), the Confucius Institute is one of 360 worldwide and the first in Washington, D.C. Additional information can be found at the following link: https://confucius.columbian.gwu.edu/.
The Global Initiatives Division, within the Confucius Institute of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS), is searching for a full-time Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant position will provide the overall administrative support to the Executive Director of Global Initiatives.
• Provides day-to-day administrative support to all personnel housed under the GWU C.I.
• Serves as the receptionist and the point of contact of the institute, schedules meetings, arranges for travels, orders supplies, pays invoices, and coordinates facilities maintenance for the program space, etc.
• Answers all general inquiries from the public and organizes visits and tours for parties who are interested in the program.
Drafts and conducts correspondences on behalf of the supervisor.
• Responsible for bookkeeping all revenues and expenses and creating and maintaining records as needed for events, confirming appointments, performing basic researches, and requesting reports from central development as needed.
• Works with the CCAS Technology and Marketing teams to develop and maintain the Confucius Institute website, designs and orders public information materials such as brochures, drafts press releases and any other materials to publicize all GWU C.I. activities within and outside of the University.
• Assists in troubleshooting and solving routine administrative or procedural problems with other departments, as assigned; helps with various publications.
• Aid in all general office-related tasks such as filing, typing, faxing, picking up and distributing mail, and ordering office supplies.
• Contact other University departments to request housekeeping and maintenance services; give or solicit operational information; arranges for meetings, conferences, and social events.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
High school diploma/GED, or equivalent combination of training and experience, is necessary plus 1.5 years of relevant experience.