The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR) is recruiting a Congressional & Media Outreach Intern to support congressional and media-related initiatives in our Washington, D.C. office. The intern will help communicate research on critical Asia issues to U.S. policymakers and the media, and have the opportunity to contribute to publications for congressional staff. This unique experience provides intensive exposure to NBR’s research programs and network of scholars.
The Congressional & Media Outreach Internship is an unpaid, volunteer, part-time position (8-16 hours per week). The intern will be a key member of NBR’s Outreach team for approximately 3-6 months, beginning in February or March 2015. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Outreach. The internship, though volunteer, pays a nominal stipend. Students are also encouraged to apply for credit or funding through their home institution.
- Develop content and programming for NBR’s partnerships with the Senate India Caucus, U.S.-China Working Group, Senate Chiefs of Staff Foreign Affairs Study Group, etc. This includes interviewing Asia policy experts, writing and editing content, and developing NBR’s congressional newsletters
- Provide research and planning support for meetings and briefings on Capitol Hill, including NBR’s annual Engaging Asia conference
- Assist with media outreach, including drafting press releases, placing op-eds, and developing media plans for NBR’s 25th anniversary and NBR’s Pacific Energy Summit in Beijing
- Write social media posts and implement strategies to increase NBR’s visibility
- Support creation of NBR’s congressional outreach webpage, track meetings with congressional staff, etc.
- Current BA/MA student, working toward a relevant degree
- Strong interest in government relations, U.S.-Asia policymaking, and social media
- Excellent written, research, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as substantive expertise and interest in U.S. policy toward Asia and/or media and government relations
- Motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills who pays acute attention to detail
- Experience using social media tools in a professional setting preferred but not necessary
- Knowledge of web/graphic design is a plus
The deadline for applications is Friday, February 13, 2015; however, qualified applications received first will be given priority. To apply, submit the following to NBR:
- Brief application form available on our website at http://www.nbr.org/Downloads/pdfs/NBR/application.pdf
- Cover letter that details your qualifications and interest in the position
- Brief writing sample, if possible, related to the position you are applying for
- Contact information of three references, including name, title, affiliation, relationship to you, phone number, and email address
Please send applications by email to: Ms. Kailani Cordell, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, (206) 632-7370.