Wednesday, April 10, 2013
SPIRI Research Internship
SIPRI North America is a branch office of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. SIPRI North America is non-profit organization located in Washington, D.C. The organization seeks to increase transatlantic and global interaction on vital public policy
issues regarding conflict and cooperation and peace and security; and to promote peaceful solutions to international conflicts through the study of conditions necessary to sustain peace.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree (or degree in progress) in International Relations, Political Science, Conflict Resolution, or
• Ability to intern 20 hrs/week. Minimum five months commitment.
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel
• Excellent internet research and documentation skills
• Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills in English
• Demonstrated knowledge and interest in peace and conflict and/or international relations
• Ability to apply superb attention to detail and to plan, organize, and prioritize work
• Eagerness to be creative and take initiative on new ideas and projects
• Ability to work in a small team or independently as needed
• Sense of humor
Duties and Responsibilities
• Research topics include women, war, and peace; Central Asia regional security challenges; and arms control and nonproliferation
• Report to the Program Manager
• Assist with coordinating SIPRI North America events
• Closely work with the Resident Fellow to code multilateral and bilateral negotiations
• Track grant opportunities
• Update contact databases
• Monitor global newsfeeds
• Attend relevant events in Washington DC on behalf of SIPRI North America
• Some data entry and administrative duties
• Responsible for SIPRI North America social media (Twitter and Facebook)
• Other related duties as assigned.
The start date for this internship is late April/early May.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample (1-3 pages). Materials should be sent in one attachment in PDF format by email to Masha Keller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling-basis until the position is filled. Deadline: April 14, 2013.