Thursday, June 20, 2013

JAPAN [1]: Where is Tokyo?

Tōkyō

Tokyo. I have been studying Japanese for three years now, but I realized that I know absolutely nothing about this location. So, a mere four days before I come face to face with the poster child of Asia, I have decided to share some of the basics of Japan and Tokyo. 

HOW BIG IS JAPAN? WHERE IS TOKYO?

Tokyo is located at the mid-point of Japan (✪). 
Image created by Soohyun Yang using image sources from www.freeusandworldmaps.com and www.abcteach.com
WHAT IS TOKYO?

Tokyo is one of the 47 prefectures in Japan. However, it is best known for its "23 special wards" (23区 nijūsan-ku) in Southern Tokyo. Nearly 7% of the nation's entire population (8.97 million people) lives here in the metropolis.
Information source: http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/


Image source: www.tokyomap.com
✪ For more detailed information, check out this link 

SOO IN JAPAN

I will be living in Koto-ku. However, my school is in Shinjuku-ku, which is roughly a 30-40 minute commute via metro. 

I'm really old school, so I prefer following maps over the GPS. Either way, I'll probably accompany my blog posts on different excursions with maps to keep everyone locationally aware. 


じゃ、またね〜(^0^)/
jya, matane (see you)

Soohyun Yang
B.A. International Economics and Japanese Language and Literature 2014
Sigur Center 2013 Japanese Language Fellow
Sendagaya Japanese Institute, Japan



No comments:

Post a Comment