Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grant for Asian Language Study in Asia, Hindi in India


Eighteen hours, three continents, two long hauls and several time zones later (or earlier!), I find myself trapped on a boisterous Delhi jam. The cacophony, the stench – a powerful recipe involving waste, cardamom and exhaust fumes – are immediate reminders of previous stays in India. Yet, the recollections last only briefly. As I discover over the course of the following days, New Delhi, is quite unlike any other subcontinental city.

In fact, the long, leafy avenues – most impressively the horizon-defying Rajpath – of New Delhi are most reminiscent of … Washington D.C.. Come to think of it, there is much in common in the political past and present of these two cities: from their colonial days to their modern position as capitals of federal unions, from the lasting legacy of two towering figures (I have started reading Ramachandra Guha’s India After Gandhi, in which much is said about the similarities between Jawaharlal Nehru and Thomas Jefferson), from the perceptible weight of the state apparatus to the ubiquity of a diplomatic contingent (Khan Market being the equivalent of Georgetown). In New Delhi, however, the city center (Lutyen’s Delhi) is not occupied by office buildings but by the houses of the individuals assumed to work in them – the Indian Civil Service (ICS).

The Rajpath with the Indian Parliament fading into the horizon

Just as I arrived, news broke out of the attribution of one of the best ‘bungalows’ (i.e., a mansion) to cricket star Sachin Tendulkar, who recently became a member of parliament on behalf of Sonia and Rahul Gandhi’s Congress Party (INC). Eventually, Tendulkar rejected the ‘gift’ but it is unclear whether this was due to public outrage, or to internal opposition: it appears the desirable grade VII ‘bungalow’ was considered too high an honor for such a junior member of parliament. The other big story on the press reports to the budding rise of Narendra Modi, Gujarat’s Chief Minister, as the main opposition candidate for the 2014 Lok Shaba (national legislative) elections. Sadly, this ominous sign of things to come (at least for those concerned with communal peace), seems auspicious to me, the social scientist, since my own research interests have come to bear on Modi and Gujarat. Few experiences underscore this thought and the human costs of the political phenomena as my later visit to the grounds of Gandhi Smirti – the house where the Mahatma lived his last days and was fatally shot by a Hindu nationalist on January 30th, 1948.

The spot where Gandhi was shot 

Finally, after three days of dust, sweat and spice, I embark on the Dehra Dun Express towards the northern state of Uttarakhand (most specifically in Landour, a small agglomerate on the foothills of the Himalayas), where I will be studying Hindi for six weeks. The railway line is currently in high demand by Delhites seeking to escape the ferocious pre-monsoon heat, leaving me no other option than to take a place on 2nd class no A/C. After wrestling my luggage through a busy platform, I enter a sauna-like carriage to find my seat between two fellow travelers. It is 113F/45C outside and inside the air is torpid. To distract myself from this sticky discomfort, I take out my notebook and begin practicing the Hindi alphabet. I should have probably anticipated that those around me would take this as an open invitation for tutorial aid. Soon, I am in the company of nothing less than five enthusiastic teachers. And so, in this sizzling and crowded carriage, my Hindi education begins. 

Inside the Dehra Dun Express

Diogo Lemos
PhD student in Political Science 
2012 Sigur Center Grant for Asian Language Study in Asia
Hindi in India

No comments:

Post a Comment